The Canterbury Community Shelter will run from 1st December 2017- 28th February 2018.
This is our eighth year of operation, and we are once again using 7 church venues around Canterbury (one for each night of the week), which have kindly allowed us to stay overnight, to provide a bed for rough sleepers to shelter from the cold weather and also work with staff/volunteers to find more permanent housing.
Volunteer with this year’s shelter
To help the shelter run smoothly, we require a strong team of volunteers to carry out a variety of evening or overnight roles:
- Kitchen volunteers to cook supper for the shelter guests at Canterbury Open Centre. (5-7:30pm).
- Volunteer Project Workers to support staff carry out general tasks, including supporting walk groups down to church venues (5-8pm)
- Evening volunteers to chat to the guests, play board games, etc at Canterbury Open Centre (5-7:30pm) and at the church venues (7-10pm)
- Overnight volunteers to support the paid staff at the church venues (can bring bedding and sleep if desired) (10pm-7:30am).
- Bedding volunteers with their own transport to take bedding to and from the church venues (mornings at 7:45am and/or evenings at 7pm).
Alternatively you can pop in to Canterbury Open Centre to complete one (Station Road East).
Please note– If you are currently a volunteer with us, or volunteered with the night shelter last year, it is likely we still have your volunteer form however please let us know you are interested in volunteering for CCS this year so we can make a note and check your details are up to date (contact details, health information, etc.).