The Canterbury Community Shelter will be running from Sunday 1st December 2019 through to Sunday 31st March 2020.
In partnership with churches in Canterbury we will be providing overnight accommodation for rough sleepers to shelter from the cold weather and a chance to work with staff/volunteers to find more permanent housing.
To help the shelter run smoothly, we require a strong team of volunteers across a variety of roles:
• Kitchen volunteers to help cook and serve supper for the shelter guests at Canterbury Open Centre. (5pm-7:30pm)
• Evening volunteer Project Workers to support staff at the centre and walk to venues with staff (5pm-8pm)
• Evening volunteers to welcome the guests in, play board games, chat, etc at Canterbury Open Centre and/or the church halls. (5pm-7:30pm and/or 7pm-10pm)
• Overnight volunteers to support the paid staff at the church halls (either staying awake or bringing bedding to sleep in a side room) (10pm-8am).
• Transportation volunteers (with their own transport) to take bedding to and from the church halls in mornings and evenings (7:45am and/or 7pm).
How to apply
We are running information sessions (all the same so please only attend one) which will tell you all you need to know to be able to volunteer with us. This is a requirement if you have never volunteered with us before (If you have volunteered before then you do not have to attend but are welcome to for an update).
-Thursday 7th November 18:00-19:30
-Tuesday 12th November 18:00-19:30
-Saturday 16th November 14:30-16:00
Please bring with you a form of ID from the following list: copy of birth certificate, passport, photo ID such as driving licence.
Please try and attend one of these sessions, however if you cannot, please let us know and we can arrange to chat one to one.
Please email to confirm attendance- firstname.lastname@example.org
Sessions location: Canterbury Open Centre, Station Road East, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 2RB (near Canterbury East Train Station and opposite Snooker Club).
Skills and Qualifications needed:
• Good communication skills
• Patience and empathy
• An ability to work well with others
• A basic appreciation of the complex needs that some of our clients have (for example linked to physical and mental health issues)