The Canterbury Community Shelter will be running from Monday 1st October 2018 through to Sunday 31st March 2019. In partnership with 7 churches in Canterbury we will be providing overnight accommodation for rough sleepers to shelter from the cold weather and work with staff/volunteers to find more permanent housing.
To help the shelter run smoothly, we require a strong team of volunteers to carry out a variety of roles:
• Kitchen volunteers to help cook and serve supper for the shelter guests at Canterbury Open Centre. (5pm-7:30pm)
• Evening volunteer Project Worker to support staff at centre and walk to venue with staff (5pm-8pm)
• Evening volunteers to welcome the guests in, play board games, chat, etc at Canterbury Open Centre and/or the church halls. (5pm-7:30pm and/or 7pm-10pm)
• Overnight volunteers to support the paid staff at the church halls (either staying awake or bringing bedding to sleep in side room) (10pm-8am).
• Volunteers with their own transport to take bedding to and from the church halls in mornings and evenings (7:45am and/or 7pm).
How to apply
To volunteer we will need a form from you and you will need to have an induction
You can download and complete a CCS volunteer form here
Please email it to email@example.com
Alternatively please contact us and we can post you one.
We will then arrange a time to meet you to discuss the role.
Please bring with you ID from the following list: copy of birth certificate, passport, photo ID such as driving licence.
Skills and Qualifications needed:
• Good communication skills
• An ability to work well with others
• A basic understanding of, and appreciation of, the complex needs that some of our clients have
Directions: Canterbury Open Centre, Station Road East, Canterbury, Kent, CT1 2RB (near Canterbury East Train Station and opposite Snooker Club).
Age/Gender Restrictions: yes. Must usually be 18 or over but can be discussed.
Disabled Access: yes
Equal Opportunities Policy: Yes
Expenses: Please discuss with staff
Insurance Cover: Yes
Training: Yes (see above for induction sessions, or if you cannot attend these we will arrange for an individual induction at our daycentre).